Friday, April 07, 2006

The Benchwarmers...

Just a quick glimpse of the pop-culture in which I live.

This past weekend, I won tickets from KIIS FM for my sons to play an short game of baseball with the cast of "The Benchwarmers". The game was held at UCLA, which was beautiful, and then after we were treated to a screening of the movie down in Westwood.

The purpose of the post here is to show off the proximity of my family in society and the mysterious world of entertainment industry. Of the notable celebs there were Rob Schneider, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Jon Heder, Jon Lovitz, Molly Sims and a bunch of other people I don't know about. The highlight was that the governor Arnold Schwarzenegger was there to, but I'm sure not it it was in an official capacity as Governor or not. I actually got a photo of him in the same frame as me.

The movie Benchwarmers was pretty good. it's more of a summer time kids flick than an adult drama, but flicks that celebrate at Shakey's Pizza can't really be for to mature of an audience. It did seem like it had a lot of Gay jokes in it, which is funny, but having to explain why a man wants to wrestle another guy to a 10 year old is a bit awkward. But all in all, the film was pretty funny. It was a total pop culture moment seeing Lovitz drive up in KIT and the Bat-Mobile, but I would of liked to of seen more of that. The frightening thing is I know some guys with rooms like that with all the Star Wars stuff in it. Filmaticially, I thought it was jumpy. It was fun seeing it on the screen, but some of the cuts were quick in changing scenes. It was good to see Rob Schneider in a staring role (if that's what you'd call it). I like his style of comedy and it was pretty straight in this flick. My kids enjoyed it and that's what mattered the most. I think I've spoiled them early on Sandler and his films.

All in all, the day was fun, and it was a nice party. They gave away some pennants for the kids, which was cool, and my son's got to spend a few minutes in the presence of Real honest to goodness movie stars. The highlight was hearing my son Kristian tell how when he was on first base (after hitting a grounder) with Jon Heder (remember Napoleon Dynamite). Standing on the bag, Jon says to Kristian
"You guys are going down".
Which brings out of Kristian
"No way, Friggin idiot".
To which Jon says
"GOSH".
Hearing my son tell that story was hilarious and totally worth the day.


| | | |

2 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Very jealous .. movie looks like it's not my kind of thing, but would love to meet Jon Heder .. good stuff

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is way cool!!!

Signed,

The guy with the Star Wars room

 

Post a Comment

<< Home