Thursday, May 11, 2006

One of my Senators is listening...

This is the note I recieved from one of my local senators (i sent the article to all 3 of my local leaders). Mind you I sent my first missive about "getting out of Iraq now" to them May 5th, 2006. This response came to me May 8th. I'm proud to say that one repsonded, but worried that it's just a form letter. You decide.

Dear Mr. Stewart:

Thank you for contacting me about the war in Iraq . I appreciate hearing from you.

I traveled to Iraq last year, and my trip confirmed my view that the United States must begin to redeploy our forces out of Iraq . Passing the three-year mark in Iraq , I believe our presence has become counterproductive.

Despite widespread sectarian violence throughout Iraq , the Bush Administration is failing to plan for the threats posed by the possibility of a full-scale civil war. On February 23, 2006 and again on March 29, I wrote to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, asking him to explain his plan for the worst-case scenario: our troops getting caught in the crossfire of a civil war. Given the administration's past failure to plan for the insurgency in Iraq , I feel it is imperative that we have a plan for the growing possibility of an all-inclusive civil war.

The administration's refusal to publicly discuss any exit strategy or even the specific conditions that must be met by the Iraqis in order to begin bringing our troops home leads me to believe that they envision a permanent U.S. presence and a never-ending war in Iraq. President Bush's comments that we will be there as long as he is President as well as his request to build permanent military bases in Iraq are very troubling and are unacceptable to me and to a majority of the American people.

On June 30, 2005, I joined Senator Russell Feingold (D WI) in co-sponsoring Senate Resolution 171, which calls on the Bush Administration to provide Congress with a time frame for achieving its military goals and withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq . After three years of battle and tragic losses endured by both American forces and Iraqis, I believe that Iraqis have to take control over the future of their country.

Once again, thank you for your letter and for caring deeply about this critical matter.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator


Please visit my website

| | |

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger brainhell said...

Form letter, but thanks for writing your senators.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home